Combinator – Automatic generation of Eurocode load combinations
Although VIS is essentially intended as a concrete design package, it comes with a family of other plug-in tools. These tools have the purpose of customizing SAP2000 and ETABS to the needs of Engineers working in world regions where Euro Codes are the design code of preference. Foremost of these tools is Combinator: a plug-in tool for the generation of Eurocode load combinations sets.
After all load cases have been defined with SAP2000 or ETABS, Combinator can be used to:
- Assign to each pattern the proper type and category, as defined in EC-1.
- Set filters deemed adequate to limit the number of combinations.
- Select the Limit States for which the Combinations should be generated. These are the reference limit states from EC- 0. Precisely:
STR Structural (non Seismic) ULS.
QKE Seismic ULS.
EQU Equilibrium ULS.
GEO Geothecnical ULS.
CHR Characteristic SLS.
FRQ Frequent Service SLS.
QPR Quasi-Permanent SLS.
- Select the summation mode. Either Linear or Range add. This is intended for checkered live load patterns.
- Generate the desired Eurocode load combinations.
- Review the results, from a combination spreadsheet, and edit where required.
- Transfer the Load Combinations back to SAP2000 or ETABS.